Skip to Main Content

General Information

October 12th – November 15th

Health Benefits Open Enrollment is scheduled for the period October 12th – November 15, 2017.  As a result, the benefits selected/changed during this open enrollment will be effective for the period January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018.

Changes will not be accepted after November 15th.

This is a voluntary Open Enrollment period.  Coverage for current enrollees who wish to continue benefits with the same providers will rollover into the new plan year, with the following exceptions:

Renewal of a Flexible Spending Account (FSA).  As always, FSA coverage does not roll over to the next plan year.  The employee must take action to renew the account(s).

Rates:  New rates are available under the Open Enrollment homepage and will be provided in the Open Enrollment packets for employees who were on health benefits prior to August 26, 2017.

For more information, see Who Needs to Take Action page.

Key Information for Open Enrollment

Open Enrollment Packets contain a pre-printed benefits summary statement with current coverage information, a Benefit Guide, Wellness Activities, and the rates for 2018.  If you are not making changes to existing coverage (with the exception of Flexible Spending Accounts), no action is required on your part.  Employees who had coverage prior to August 26, 2017 should receive packets between September 28th – October 5th from their department..

Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system WILL be used for this year’s open enrollment.  Employees currently enrolled in coverage, who want to make changes or enroll in a Flexible Spending Account must contact the the IVR prior to November 15th.  Call volume may be higher towards the end of open enrollment so its best to call earlier in the Open Enrollment season.  View the Open Enrollment webpage for instructions on using the IVR.

Interactive Enrollment Forms should be completed by Contractual Employees, Retirees and employees who are not currently on State of Maryland Health Benefits.   Completed forms and supporting documentation should be returned to the HR Department for review and processing by 12:00 noon on Tuesday, November 15, 2017.

Benefit Summary Statements confirming your enrollment changes will be sent to you after you submit your changes via the IVR or by submitting an enrollment form (when applicable).  It is important you review your Summary Statement for accuracy and report errors to Human Resources at hrbenefits@umbc.edu

Wellness Program Activities for 2018: Activities completed in 2017 will rollover to 2018, no need to complete activities again. Wellness activities include designating a primary care physician, complete a health risk assessment to get free Primary Care Copays in 2018 and a reduction of specialist copays if the wellness screenings are completed.  For more information on the 2018 wellness program activities, please see the State Wellness Program page.

Affordable Care Act (ACA):   ACA requirements remain.  Employers are required to provide subsidized medical and prescription coverage to temporary employees (adjunct faculty, contingent employees, graduate assistants and resident assistants) who work a minimum of 30 hours a week or 130 hours (on average) per month.  The State will pay 75% of the subsidy for coverage, employees will be direct billed the remaining 25% on a monthly basis.  Employees who are eligible should submit a Contractual/Variable Enrollment form found on the Open Enrollment section of the HR website.

Adding Dependents:  Employees adding dependents must provide the required supporting documentation to the Department of Human Resources no later than 12:00 noon on Wednesday, November 15, 2017.  Examples of the necessary documentation are provided in the Benefits Guide.  The dependent affidavit form is also available on the HR website in the Open Enrollment section.  Verification documents not received by the deadline date will result in the dependent being removed from coverage.

Open Enrollment Information Sessions:   You are encouraged to attend one of these sessions if you have questions about the process or available benefits. Please see the listing of Open Enrollment events for details.

You may also contact the UMBC HR Department at hrbenefits@umbc.edu with questions.  The following staff can help you with specific Open Enrollment and other benefits questions:

 

Zahira Meyers                                Sara Shannon                                  Rochelle Sanders

HR Benefits Manager                     HR Specialist                                  Director, Human Resources

Phone 5-2479                                 Phone 5-3648                                 Phone 5-3842

Email zmeyers@umbc.edu             Email shannon5@umbc.edu            Email rsanders@umbc.edu