All UMBC employees must complete the appropriate new hire paperwork in order to be paid by the State of Maryland. All new employees are required to complete an I-9 Employment Verification on or before the 1st day of employment.
Note: The Department of Homeland Security REQUIRES that the I-9 be completed on the first day by the employee and that the document verification occur within three days of the first day of employment.
Human Resources/Payroll Calendars – This page includes links to HR & payroll related calendars and deadlines.
REMOTE I-9 FOR COVID-19 USE ONLY
New Hire Packet by Employee Classification
New employees must complete the required documents based on their employee classification. Departments must provide the following policies to each new employee.
- I-9 Instructions – English (I-9 Spanish Instructions) A full list of acceptable documents can be found on pages 8-11.
- Substance Abuse Policy (Acknowledgement of Receipt Form can be found in the New Hire packets above) – The use of controlled substances and the abuse of alcohol present a serious threat to individual health and everyone’s safety. Moreover, the use of illegal drugs and the abuse of alcohol can result in less than complete reliability, stability and good judgement, which is inconsistent with the standards set for the faculty, staff and students of the University of Maryland Baltimore County.
- In the past, the CHIP Notice (Not required for students) & CHIP Acknowledgement Form were required. Effective 2/2019, Human Resources no longer requires an individual notification/acknowledgement. More information can be found on the Benefit Information page.
New Hire Forms
- New Hire PAR Form
- New Hire PAR Instructions
- Direct Deposit
- Docusign I-9 (Remote COVID USE ONLY) BY law, the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification is REQUIRED! Page 1 much be completed no later than the first day of employment, and page 2 must be competed by the University representative within three days of the date of hire.
- Work Permit (required for minors – under 18 years old)
UPDATED 7/20/18: IRS Encourages All Employees to Use the “IRS Withholding Calculator”
W-4 – This form ensures your employer withholds the correct amount of income tax from your pay. In the absence of a W-4, the federal and state tax laws and regulations mandate maximum taxes be withheld. Prompt Filing of Employee Withholding Certificate
- 2021 Tax Forms – W4, MW507
** Payroll System = UM, Employing Agency = UMBC, Agency Number = 360231)
Student & Graduate Assistant titles should only be used for students at the University of Maryland (USM) system school. Students in a non-USM school or students that work a regular schedule of 40 hours, should not be in a student title. Employees with a F-1 & J-1 VISA status are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week based on their VISA requirements. A student employee that has graduated may not be classified with a student title. The department should submit termination paperwork or change the employee’e title to a non-student position.
Non-Resident Alien (NRA) employees are required to complete specific paperwork when they are hired and during the renewal period at the end of each year for the following calendar year.
- Faculty & Staff Pre-Hire form
- Faculty & Staff Pre-Hire Process
- How do I request and process a payroll advance?
- *Graduate School Assistantship Information
- Business Process Update regarding submission of job actions (March 2019)
NOTE: UMBC only e-verifies employees that are on a federal contract with a FAR clause at this time. We are unable to e-verify any other employees without impacting our entire workforce. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Verification/E-Verify/E-Verify_Native_Documents/guide-federal-contractor_comp.pdf