Employee or Retiree
Full-time regular faculty/staff and retirees (who retired from full-time positions) are eligible for tuition remission at any USM institution, at the undergraduate or graduate level*, for up to eight (8) credits per semester. Part-time regular faculty/staff and retirees from part-time positions may receive tuition remission proportional to their percentage of service. UMBC Contingent II employees are only eligible for tuition remission at UMBC, with benefits proportional to percentage of service. There is no spouse/dependent tuition remission benefit for Contingent II employees.
*Graduate tuition may have tax implications, please see the Taxable Tuition Remission.
Spouse & Dependent Children
Regular employees or Retirees (who retired from a regular position) hired after 7/1/1992 are eligible for tuition remission for their legally married spouse or dependent child (biological, legally adopted, step-child) if they meet the following criteria:
- Two years of full time employment within the USM
- Must be enrolled in courses toward a first undergraduate degree at any of the USM institutions. (If the dependent child or spouse has already earned an undergraduate degree from any institution, they are not eligible for tuition remission)
Tuition Benefit for Spouse/Dependent Children
- If attending UMBC, dependents may receive tuition remission of 100% on courses toward a first undergraduate degree at UMBC.
- If attending another USM institution, dependents may receive tuition remission of 50% on courses toward a first undergraduate degree.
- Spouse and Dependent tuition remission benefits for courses taken at Morgan, St. Mary’s, and BCCC (“reciprocal” institutions) are outlined in the Tuition Remission policy and the Deadline and Restrictions charts.
For employees hired before 7/1/1990, please see the tuition remission policy for details.