This page replaces the former New Hire page for Payroll Preparers with the most up to date Docusign forms for HR and Payroll related changes. Many business processes changed when the campus moved to remote operations due to COVID19. The myUMBC Payroll Preparer/Approver group contains all the relevant training and updates to those business processes.
This page offers guidance for the remote work DocuSign new-hire paperwork process, DocuSign Change Pars, Remote I-9 forms, supporting documentation, pre-hire forms, reporting time (students), and FAQ’s.
All UMBC employees must complete the appropriate new hire paperwork in order to be paid by the State of Maryland. Department Payroll Preparers should review the Human Resources/Payroll Calendars to submit transactions in a timely manner based on the deadlines associated with each pay cycle. Note: The Preparer cannot edit the form until the employee completes their data.
- New Hire PAR (Onboarding Packet) for new hires & rehires – This link will initiate a Personnel Action Request form in Docusign which will be routed to new employees (employees requiring all hiring documents):
- New hire that requires onboarding documents (W-4, MW507, direct deposit, I-9, etc.)
- Rehire that requires all onboarding documents (W-4, MW507, direct deposit, etc.)
Student & Graduate Assistant titles should only be used for students at the University of Maryland (USM) system school. Students in a non-USM school or students that work a regular schedule of 40 hours, should not be in a student title. Employees with a F-1 & J-1 VISA status are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week based on their VISA requirements. A student employee that has graduated may not be classified with a student title. The department should submit termination paperwork or change the employee’s title to a non-student position.
- Docusign I-9 – This form removes the 2 step process that was used for remote operations.
Note: The Department of Homeland Security REQUIRES that the I-9 be completed on the first day by all new employees on or before the 1st day of employment and that the document verification occur within three days of the first day of employment.
- Tax Forms (MW-507, Federal form)
- Mail tax and direct deposit forms directly to the address on the bottom of the form unless it is a NRA with a tax treaty.
- Do not mail prior to 7 – 10 days before hire date for new employees.
- The IRS Encourages All Employees to Use the “IRS Withholding Calculator”
- 2023 Federal W-4 & Instructions & Guide AND
- 2023 State MW507 – (For Maryland Withholding AND Address Changes) & Instructions & Guide OR
- 2023 DC D-4 & Instructions OR
- 2023 WV/IT 104 & Instructions
- Direct Deposit
- Direct deposit forms must be typed, handwritten forms will be rejected by CPB which will cause a delay in your direct deposit.
- Work Permit (required for minors – under 18 years old)
- Additional Hiring Information
- Student Employment: Student & Graduate Assistant titles should only be used for students at the University of Maryland (USM) system school. Students in a non-USM school or students that work a regular schedule of 40 hours, should not be in a student title. Employees with a F-1 & J-1 VISA status are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week based on their VISA requirements. A student employee that has graduated may not be classified with a student title. The department should submit termination paperwork or change the employee’e title to a non-student position.
- Non-Resident Alien: Non-Resident Alien (NRA) employees are required to complete specific paperwork when they are hired and during the renewal period at the end of each year for the following calendar year.
Employee Changes Portal (DocuSign form: Critical Payroll/HRIS Transaction Portal)
- Completed Pre-hire form (Prehire Business Process)
- Change PARS
- Position Management Changes
- Concurrent Jobs not processed in PeopleSoft
- New Hire Archive Page
- HR COVID-19 FAQ’s
- Faculty & Staff Pre-Hire Process
- How do I request and process a payroll advance?
- *Graduate School Assistantship Information
- Business Process Update regarding submission of job actions (March 2019)
NOTE: UMBC only e-verifies employees that are on a federal contract with a FAR clause at this time. We are unable to e-verify any other employees without impacting our entire workforce. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Verification/E-Verify/E-Verify_Native_Documents/guide-federal-contractor_comp.pdf