UMBC recognizes that employees are its most valuable asset. The University’s ability to achieve its vision and mission rests, in part, on the recruitment and retention of qualified, skilled faculty and staff. With this in mind, the HR Classification/Compensation Unit is available to assist with key staffing decisions. All decisions are made to ensure fairness and equity, recognizing that the University must remain competitive in the market, and in consideration of fiscal responsibility.
The Compensation & Classification unit assists with new positions, processing requests to reclassify existing positions, providing wage and salary information, and assisting with organizational design and development.
Learn about the recruiting and hiring process for all types of positions. Check out the many valuable resources including sample documents to help you effectively navigate the process.
- PageUp Resources – log-in button and instruction manuals, and other information on using PageUp
- Recruiting and Hiring Procedures – procedures to hire each category of employee
- Forms – hiring and employment forms
- Search Committee Toolkit – Everything a search chair and committee needs to run a search
- Resources – sample letters, interview guidelines, sample interview questions and much more
Orienting New Employees
“Our vision for new faculty and staff at UMBC is that they feel welcome and informed, are able to perform their roles effectively, and are excited about UMBC as a place to work.”
- New Employee Departmental Onboarding Guide & Checklist
- Remote Onboarding Tips – best practices for virtually onboarding remote employees
Helpful Websites – Preparing for New Employees
Information about UMBC:
Preparing for New Employees: