Effective January 1, 2015
The new Affordable Care Provisions expand coverage to eligible USM contractual employees. Contractual employees working an average of 30+ hours/week will be covered under the State health benefits program as of January 1. Those covered include:
- Contingent I and II staff working 30+ hours/week
- Adjunct faculty who teach at least 75% of the expected course load of a full-time non-tenure track instructional faculty member according to their institution’s standards
- Other contractual faculty working 30+ hours/week
- Some student employees working 30+ hours/week.
Eligible contractual employees will be able to participate in the State health plan with benefits at least at the following levels:
- Employer-subsidized medical and prescription drug coverage, but no dental coverage subsidy
- The State will cover 75% of the cost of coverage, with the employee paying 25%
- Instead of a payroll deduction, contractual employees will pay the State directly for the cost of their premium.
Additional ACA Resources and information:
If you are ineligible for subsidized benefit coverage with your employer, Please take a moment to review the resources available to you and your family members through the MHC at: http://www.marylandhealthconnection.gov/resources/