ACA provisions expand coverage to eligible USM contractual employees. Contractual employees working 75% or more (30+ hours/week) may elect subsidized coverage under the State of Maryland Health program through the Department of Budget & Management. Eligibility for subsidized benefits include the following:
- Contingent I and II staff on contracts greater than 90-days who are contracted to working 30+ hours/week
- Adjunct faculty on contracts greater than 90-days who teach at least 75% (9 credits) of the expected course load of a full-time non-tenure track instructional faculty member according to their institution’s standards
- Other contractual faculty on contracts greater than 90-days working 30+ hours/week
Eligible contractual employees will be able to participate in the State health plan with a state subsidy at the following levels:
- Employer-subsidized medical and prescription drug coverage the State will cover 75% of the full premium, with the employee paying 25%
- Dental coverage, Life insurance, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment may be elected at the unsubsidized rates
- Contractual employees will pay the State directly for the cost of their premium. There are no payroll deductions for contractual employees.
Contractual employees who work less than 75% (less than 30 hours/week) are eligible to participate in the State Benefits Program at the un-subsidized rates.
Contractual employees must enroll within 60-days of their hire date (or date they first become eligible) or during open enrollment. The State of Maryland Benefits Guide listed below outlines other qualifying events that may allow enrollment outside of the annual open enrollment period.