When an employee transitions from University Service, it is important to recognize the different processes as it relates to the period of notice and benefits. General information for each is provided below. For more details, contact the HR Benefits Staff with questions related to separation from University service.
- Employee should provide up to 3 months notice to supervisor of intent to retire.
- Employee may be eligible to continue health benefits via pension deduction.
- Unused sick leave may be credited toward retirement (MSRP only). Payout of annual leave and holiday may be warranted. No payout for unused personal leave.
- Retirement packet submitted to HR for processing (30-45 days prior to retirement date).
- Employee should provide up to 2 weeks (non-exempt) or 30 days (exempt) notice to immediate supervisor of intent to resign.
- Employee contacts HR Benefits Staff to set up exit interview (see below).
- Employee may be eligible to continue health benefits via COBRA (full cost + 2% fee).
- Payout of annual leave and holiday may be warranted. No payout for unused sick or personal.
- Employee signs Exit Checklist as verification of benefits discussion.
The Office of Human Resources provides a separation checklist in order to:
- Provide guidelines for reviewing pertinent items with employee transferring or transitioning from service
- Ensure payroll and other details related to separation are reviewed
- Encourage feedback between exiting employee and supervisor
Review the checklist by clicking here. Contact the HR Department with questions related to employee transition from university service.
Whenever possible, the HR Department will conduct an exit interview with the individual separating from service. The interview is conducted in two parts:
Benefits: health, retirement and leave benefits are discussed with the individual and instructions for continuation of eligible benefits.
Employment Experience: individual is asked a series of questions that assist monitoring turnover and possible training needs.
For additional information regarding the exit interview process, contact the HR Benefits Unit.