Payroll & Leave Management

Payroll_ThumbnailPayroll Resources

Refer to these links for the most up-to-date payroll resources for supervisors, or visit the Payroll page for more information.


It is important for supervisors to understand the policies and procedures related to employee work schedules, timekeeping and leave approval.  In turn, supervisors can establish and communicate these requirements to staff to ensure clarity and compliance.

Board of Regents (BOR) Leave Policies
Staff Handbook

The Staff Handbook is a synopsis of policies governing staff of UMBC and is not intended to represent contractual terms of employment. The policies outlined in this document may change and UMBC reserves the right to change, or discontinue without notice, any plan, program, benefit, term or condition set forth within the handbook.

More detailed interpretation and administration of these policies are made by the Human Resources Department (HR). Changes will be posted on the HR website. Please contact HR if you need an explanation or clarification of any item mentioned in the Handbook (410-455-2337).

Duty Day Memo – Exempt Staff

Exempt employees are expected to work the hours necessary to satisfactorily complete the requirements of the job. A full-time commitment typically requires a minimum of 80 hours per bi-weekly payroll period. View Duty Day memorandum here.

Faculty Timekeeping Memo


Time Entry & Leave Processing Manual

HR has developed a comprehensive manual to aid supervisors and leave preparers in the recording and processing of time and leave for UMBC faculty and staff. The manual provides information not only for excluded staff, but also for staff covered in the nonexempt bargaining units and the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP). Click the link(s) below to review the Time Entry & Leave Processing Manual, as well as leave policies under the MOU documents for each bargaining unit.

Questions related to time entry and leave processing should be directed to the HRIS Manager at 410-455-3646. Questions for either MOU should be directed to the Director of Employment and Labor Relations.

Leave Request Forms

Find a full list of leave request forms here.