The Pre-hire process allows departments to get a new employee access to UMBC resources before all of their new hire paperwork is processed by Human Resources.
In order for an employee to receive a myUMBC account prior to being placed on the University payroll, a pre-hire request must be completed. This process is limited to new faculty and staff employees who have received an official offer of employment from the University (appointment approval from President/ Provost; or appointment confirmation from HR Department). The pre-hire record remains active for 3 months to provide sufficient time to for the hiring department to submit the required new hire documentation. The pre-hire will receive emails at 60, 30 and 7 days notifying them of their systems access and when it will be expiring. The process steps are outlined below:
- Campus hiring department makes request to HR by submitting the Faculty/Staff Pre-Hire form to the Docusign submission portal (Select transaction type Prehire)
- HR Staff will review form and supporting document(s) and enter individual as Person of Interest type (Pre-hire Faculty or Pre-hire Staff) in PeopleSoft Campus Solutions.
- Once the record has been created the “pre-hired” employee, the department sponsor and the back-office Payroll staff person will get an email confirming that the pre-hire has been processed along with a Welcome email including instructions for creating myUMBC user account information.
- For faculty pre-hires, an RT ticket will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office in order to make a determination regarding security access to SA modules.
- When the hiring department submits new hire payroll packet, the EMPID of the Pre-Hire must be provided in order to alert HR Payroll staff of existing record for new employee.
As stated above, the pre-hire record will remain active for 3 months. The pre-hire will receive email alerts at 30 days and 7 days notifying them of systems access and when it will expire. In the event the hiring department will not provide the necessary new hire paperwork within the 3 month period, HR Payroll must be notified to ensure the expiration date on the pre-hire record is adjusted.
Next Steps: New Hire
- New Employee Onboarding Guide & Checklist
- New Hire PAR Manual
- New Employee Guide for Supervisors
- New Employee Departmental Checklist
- Student Administration (SA) Functionality Request form