Current employees experiencing a Qualifying Event and/or making changes during the annual Open Enrollment period will need to follow the instructions below to make changes to their benefits.
Qualifying Event Changes
- Access Workday using your SPS ID (W-Number) and Temporary password
- Qualifying Event Benefit Changes have two steps
- Step 1: Initiating a Qualifying Event
- Step 2: Changing your Benefits
- Please make sure to have your dependent documentation such as marriage certificates, loss of coverage letters, and/or any birth certificates scanned for quick upload.
- If applicable, refer to the instructions to Remove a dependent during a qualifying event
- Make sure to review the Benefits Guide and Rates, and have your elections handy.
- Qualifying events will become effective on the 1st of the month following your qualifying event date with the exceptions of newborns, please see ‘Coverage Effective Dates’ below.
Coverage Effective Dates
- Effective Dates of Coverage: Coverage changes are effective on the 1st of the month following the qualifying event date with the exceptions to newborns. Newborns coverage is effective on the date of birth. If deductions do not occur until after their effective date, the State will bill the employee back to the coverage effective date.
- Terminations: Coverage will end at the end of the month in which an employee separates from employment or loses eligibility (such as dependents turning 26, removal of spouses/dependents, etc.)
- FSA Effective Dates: FSA effective dates may begin on the 1st of the month following your benefit elections to allow enough time to process pre-taxed deductions.