Specialty Immigration VISA Types: DA (Deferred Action), AS (Asylee), RF (Refugee), TP (Temporarily Protected), and PR (Permanent Resident).
NOTE: VISA changes and updates must be communicated to your department Payroll Preparer.
New Employee Requirements
All required forms must be complete & accurate or they will be returned. This may impact your new hire paperwork and tax withholdings.
- Social Security Number: If you do not have a Social Security Number, you will receive a temporary identification number until you receive your SSN. The temporary number is not a SSN. An Affidavit of Compliance is required.
- Form I-9 Employment Eligibility: This document will be routed to employees from the department payroll preparer. The first page must be completed no later than the 1st day of employment.
- I-9 Form Instructions – English, Instructions – Spanish A full list of acceptable documents can be found on pages 8-11.
- I-9 Docusign Instructions – for employees and USCIS Handbook Instructions
- Citizenship Status Docusign Form:
Step 1: Employee will receive an email from Docusign from their Departmental Payroll Preparer. This must be completed to determine the federal income withholding status.
- Citizenship Status DocuSign form (IF FILING A TAX TREATY, READ BELOW BEFORE STARTING THE PROCESS)
Step 2: Complete the Docusign form
Step 3: Complete State of Maryland – W-4 and MW507 and code the documents based on Payroll Preparer Instructions and MAIL TO CPB (Address on bottom of form):
- Print the official State of Maryland tax forms (W-4 and MW507)
- Complete the State of Maryland tax forms (W-4 and MW507)
- The department payroll preparer will provide the required codes for you to add to the State of Maryland tax forms. (W-4 and MW507) These forms are REQUIRED.
- Employees on a tax treaty (next section) will mail all documents to UMBC not to Central Payroll Bureau/address on the bottom of the form.
Tax Treaties require additional documentation and mailing instructions:
Tax treaty exemption is for federal tax ONLY. There is no Maryland state tax treaty exemption. (Employee may be exempt if residing in Pennsylvania, Virginia or DC.). Employees must have a valid SSN in order to receive treaty exemptions.
Employee’s filing a tax treaty, the following forms must also be completed & attached to the Citizenship Status Docusign form (Step 1 above) AND mailed to the address below.
Step 1: Identify appropriate representation letter. (This MUST be included with your NRA renewal Process DocuSign paperwork and mailed to the address below.)
Step 2: Complete the following forms and mail to UMBC with your tax forms from above (step 3):
- Tax Treat Representation Letter – Print & complete form from step 1
- Form 8233 – Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual: Print form from Glacier
Step 3: ONLY Resident Alien (RA) for tax purposes who file a tax treaty are required to complete the following forms:
- IRS Form W-9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.
- W-9 Attachment – Attachment to IRS form W-9 with Tax Treaty Claim
Mail all forms to:
1000 Hilltop Circle
Room 515 – ATTENTION: PAYROLL
Baltimore, MD 21250
- Nonresident Alien Reference Guide
- 2021 – NRA Tip Sheet
- NRA FAQs
- Docusign CSF Instructions – Payroll Preparer
- Docusign CSF Instructions – Employee
- GUIDE TO COMPLETING THE W-4 & MW507 – This guide addresses common questions and errors employee’s have when completing the W-4 and MW507 forms.
Remote I-9 – Docusign (DEPARTMENT INITIATES THIS PROCESS)