For detailed procedures on hiring a graduate assistant, please visit the Graduate School website at: http://www.umbc.edu/gradschool/funding/opps.html
If you have questions regarding the hiring process for a Graduate Assistant, please contact the Graduate School at 410-455-1522.
Get a copy of the:
Recruitment/New Hire Checklist for Graduate Assistants – An adaptable checklist to help walk you through the steps of the hiring process.
Prior to Recruitment
The hiring department/faculty member determines the position responsibilities and qualifications. The faculty member determines the type (i.e. teaching assistant, research assistant, etc.).
Determine the appropriate pay rate for the position and source of funding for graduate assistant. Detailed information can be found at: http://www.umbc.edu/gradschool/funding/opps.html
Graduate assistant positions do not require advertising.
The Department/faculty member generally recruits students by: identifying a student from a class; word of mouth from faculty members; recommendations from colleagues; advertisements from departmental sites, or from a student actively seeking support in their area of interest.
- The faculty member identifies a student for hire and verifies eligibility and any work restrictions.(see Hiring Checklist for Graduate Assistants for criteria).
- The faculty member offers the assistantship. Discuss the terms (salary, hours, schedule, etc.).
- A position number is verified/obtained (from the departmental payroll preparer).
- Prepare the graduate assistantship award letter. A sample letter may be found at: http://www.umbc.edu/gradschool/funding/opps.html
- Obtain the signatures on the award letter.
- Make arrangements for the student to complete the necessary payroll documents with assistance from the departmental payroll preparer prior to the start date. Please contact a member of the payroll staff for assistance if needed.
Note: Human Resources approval of the selection is not required for graduate assistant or student positions.