For information on hiring a graduate assistant, please visit the Graduate School website at: https://gradschool.umbc.edu/funding/assistantships/forms/
If you have questions regarding the hiring process for a Graduate Assistant, please contact the Graduate School at 410-455-2537.
Prior to Recruitment
The hiring department/faculty member determines the position responsibilities and qualifications. The faculty member determines the type (i.e. teaching assistant, research assistant, etc.).
Graduate assistant positions do not require advertising.
The Department/faculty member generally recruits students by: identifying a student from a class; word of mouth from faculty members; recommendations from colleagues; advertisements from departmental sites, or from a student actively seeking support in their area of interest.
- The faculty member identifies a student for hire and verifies eligibility and any work restrictions.
- The faculty member offers the assistantship. Discuss the terms (salary, hours, schedule, etc.).
- A position number is verified/obtained (from the departmental payroll preparer).
- Prepare the graduate assistantship award letter. A sample letter may be found at: https://gradschool.umbc.edu/funding/assistantships/forms/
- Obtain the signatures on the award letter.
- Make arrangements for the student to complete the necessary payroll documents with assistance from the departmental payroll preparer prior to the start date. Please contact a member of the payroll staff for assistance if needed.
Note: Human Resources approval of the selection is not required for graduate assistant or student positions.