When considering establishing a new position, Classification/Compensation staff work with managers to consider the following factors:
- Department Organizational Structure: review of current position allocation and reporting hierarchy in the department, as well as the Division.
- Type of Position: determine status of position based upon department needs and whether full-time vs. part time, or regular vs. temporary status is required.
- Nature of Duties: gauge level of decision-making authority; are anticipated duties exempt, non-exempt or academic, and the impact on existing positions in the department.
- Budget Impact: determine source of funding as well as impact on department, division and university and if position will add to overall FTE count now or in the future.
Steps for Requesting a New Position
To request a new position, a UMBC Position Request Form must be completed and submitted to the HR Classification Unit. To obtain information required for completing the form, use the following steps:
- Review vacant position report to ensure no existing positions are available. If a position is available and a change needs to be made, use a Classification Action Request Form (CAR).
NOTE: All positions must have an identified source(s) of funding approved by Financial Services and an associated combination code(s). As stated on the CAR form, identification of a combination code is required for all position requests. Questions regarding the funding source(s) or combination code(s) for a position should be directed to your Shared Services Center or your departmental business services staff prior to submission of the CAR form.
- Use UMBC Title Code Listing to identify appropriate payroll title.
- Identify Combination Code (funding source) using PS navigation: Payroll for North America>Payroll Distribution> Commitment Accounting USA>UMBC Valid Combo Table.
Questions? Contact a member of the Classification/Compensation staff.