The following procedures should be followed when a faculty, staff or student employee incurs a work-related injury or a student or visitor is injured on campus.
Contact the Office of Environmental Safety & Health
Location: Physical Plant Building, Room 105
Phone: ext. 5-2918
1. When a faculty, staff or paid student employee has incurred a work-related injury, the injured person may be referred directly to:
University Health Services (UHS) Hours: Monday-Thursday,
Erickson Hall 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m.
Center Road Fridays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Authorization for Treatment forms may be obtained from the Environmental Safety and Health Office at the Physical Plant Building, Room 105.
When University Health Services is not open, employees should be referred to:
Concentra Medical Center Hours: Monday, 7:00 a.m.-
1419 Knecht Avenue Saturday, 12 noon
Arbutus, Maryland 21227
Friends Medical Center, Inc. Hours: Sunday, 10 p.m.-
5820 Southwestern Boulevard Saturday, 1 p.m.
Arbutus, Maryland 21227
These clinics specialize in work-related illnesses and injuries in addition to offering physicals, special testing and vaccinations. They are a reasonably short drive from the campus.
When the above agencies are closed, injured employees should be referred to:
St. Agnes Hospital
900 Caton Avenue (off Wilkens Avenue)
Baltimore, Maryland 21229
General (410) 368-6000
Emergency Room (410) 368-2000
TO ENSURE PROPER COVERAGE BY THE STATE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, THE INJURED EMPLOYEE SHOULD NOT BE REFERRED INITIALLY TO A FAMILY PHYSICIAN OR A PRIVATE CLINIC.
2. In cases of severe work-related injuries which necessitate the use of an ambulance to transport the injured person, emergency room facilities at St. Agnes Hospital are to be utilized.
3. All work-related injuries must be reported to the Office of Environmental Safety and Health using the following forms available from this office:
a. The injured employee must complete an Employee’s First Report of Injury form and submit it to the Office of Environmental Safety and Health within 24 hours of the time of the injury.
b. The employee’s supervisor or designee must complete a Supervisor’s First Report of Injury form and submit it to the Office of Environmental Safety and Health within 24 hours following the injury.
c. Witnesses should complete an Accident Witness Statement and submit it to the Office of Environmental Safety and Health.
d. Once the forms have been completed, they are reviewed by the Office of Environmental Safety and Health. A campus Safety and Health Manager will investigate, if necessary, and notify the Injured Workers’ Insurance Fund and the Office of Human Resources of the circumstances of the injury.
1. In instances where a visitor is injured, the visitor should contact the most convenient emergency medical center, such as the University Health Services or St. Agnes Hospital. A student who is injured while on campus should contact University Health Services.
2. The student or visitor must complete an ACORD General Liability Loss Notice form, which may be obtained from the Office of Environmental Safety and Health. The injured person should complete the Loss, Injured/Property Damaged and Witnesses sections of the form and return the form, along with any additional medical documentation, to the Office of Environmental Safety and Health, Physical Plant Building. This does not constitute a claim by a third party. A claim for damages must be filed with the State Treasurer’s Office under the Maryland Tort Claims Act in order to be eligible for recovery if the State is held liable. Procedures for filing a claim may be obtained from the Office of Environmental Safety and Health.
While UMBC has been fortunate to have had a low incidence of accidents on campus, it is important that everyone be aware of the proper procedures should one occur. Following these procedures will aid the injured party and will also enable us to identify and correct safety hazards on campus.
From Hilltop Circle, follow Poplar Avenue to Carville Avenue. Turn right on Carville Avenue at stop sign. Immediately get into left lane. Turn left on Sulphur Spring Road at the traffic light. Drive under overpass. Pass the Post Office on your right. Turn left on Benson Avenue. Turn left on Knecht Avenue. Concentra is on the right.
From Hilltop Circle, follow Poplar Avenue to Shelbourne Avenue. At the stop sign, turn left onto Shelbourne Avenue. Turn right on Linden Avenue. Follow Linden Avenue to Southwestern Boulevard. Turn right on Southwestern Boulevard (Rt. 1 South). Follow Southwestern Boulevard for about one mile. Friends Medical Center is in a professional office facility on the right.