New employees will be able to log into SPS Workday using their SPS ID/Workday Number. This is a unique identifier assigned by the State of Maryland. Your SPS ID begins with W and is followed by 7 digits and is also referred to as your “W-Number”.
When to Login
New hires will get an email alert within 2-3 weeks of their hire date or the date their were entered into our payroll system. The email alert will be from email@example.com and will contain:
- Your SPS ID (also referred to as the W#)
- An initial temporary password to login for the first time
New Hires have 60 days from their hire date on payroll to elect benefits in SPS Workday.
How to Login
- First, Find your SPS ID (available when you get the SPS email alert)
- Login to SPS Workday
- Please see How to Access Benefit Events in your Inbox.
- Use the following Quick Reference Guide for New Employees to Elect benefits for the first time.
- Have your required documentation such as marriage certificates, and birth certificates scanned for quick upload.
- Make sure to review the Benefits Guide and Rates, and have your elections handy before logging in.
Current Employees experiencing a “Qualifying Event” may enroll in benefits by visiting the “Making Changes” page.
Coverage Effective Dates
- Effective Dates of Coverage: Coverage begins on the 1st of the month following the start date of a new hire. If a new hire starts on the first of the month, benefits are effective on their start date. If deductions do not occur until after their effective date, the State will bill the employee back to their effective date.
- Terminations: Coverage will end at the end of the month in which an employee separates from employment or loses eligibility (such as dependents turning 26, removal of spouses/dependents, etc.)
- FSA Effective Dates: FSA effective dates may begin on the 1st of the month following your benefit elections to allow enough time to process pre-taxed deductions.