Non-Resident Alien (NRA) employees are required to complete specific paperwork when they are hired and during the renewal period at the end of each year for the following calendar year.
- Renewed annually by anyone who is not a US Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident
- Forms must be complete & accurate or they will be returned
- Citizenship Status form must be completed to determine the federal income withholding status.
- Affidavit of Compliance is required for NRA’s without a valid social security number (SSN) in order to receive a temporary social security number
- NRA must have a valid SSN in order to receive treaty exemptions
- W-4 form must have the original signature in black ink with no mistakes
- Tax treaty exemption is for federal tax ONLY
- There is no Maryland state tax treaty exemption. (Employee may be exempt if residing in Pennsylvania, Virginia or DC.)
- Review the Required Supporting Documents by NRA Classification Chart to determine what supporting documentation is required
- Review the Required Tax Forms by NRA Classification Chart to determine the required tax forms
- 2017 Citizenship Status form
- 2016 Citizenship Status form
- Student Representation Letters – Tax Treaty
- Teacher/Researcher Representation Letters- Tax Treaty
- IRS Form 8233 – Exemption From Withholding on Compensation for Independent (and Certain Dependent) Personal Services of a Nonresident Alien Individual
- IRS Form W-9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
- W-9 Attachment
- Affidavit of Compliance
Non-Resident Alien Scholarships – Athletic & Financial Aid ONLY
Required for NRA Scholarships that are above tuition, fees, books and supplies.
- I-94 & VISA
- I-20 (F-1 Student) OR
- DS-2019 (J-1 Student)
Having trouble finding what you’re looking for? Please try using the search bar at the top of the page, or contact our office at (410) 455-2337 to speak with an HR representative.